TKX30 Firware?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

KF6OWC

TKX30 Firware?

Post by KF6OWC »

I am putting a couple of th 730's on 2 meters one goes down to 144 just fine and still cover the upper end of VHF high the other wont do that. does this have anything to do with the firmware? the one that works fir has the FAC eprom the one that doesnt has the FAB eprom. where can I find the FAC firware so I can burn a new chip? or is there newer firmware I should look for? I have read of a FAD eprom. any suggestions?
TNX Jim
ka7wnf

Re: TKX30 Firware?

Post by ka7wnf »

The firmware has nothing to do with the range of the radio. You need to retune the radio and adjust the VCO.
KF6OWC

Post by KF6OWC »

I have done this. the second radio has nuch narrow PLL as compared to the First radio which the PLL lock over a greater range 144-172 mhz. any other ideas?
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

No not really. Some radios just won't lock at lower frequencies and some will. I guess the answer is to locate one of the hard to find low split TK-730's.
KF6OWC

Post by KF6OWC »

ANy ideas on what serial numbers to look for. the one that locked below 148 I dont have here any longer, anybody post there serial numbers of 730's that locked below 148? tnx jim
kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

In my albeit limited experience, the G (narrow-capable) models had a fixed TX VCO and the normal
radios had adjustable VCOs. Referring to the high-split, of course.

eg. G models were a waste of time for Ham use. Since they didn't do 7.5KHz stepping they weren't
much use for narrowband either...