Tk-790/TK-890 Dual Band Single Head Set up

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

jsykora

Tk-790/TK-890 Dual Band Single Head Set up

Post by jsykora »

I am attempting to set up a TK-790 and TK-890 for dual Band single head set up. The Tk-890 is set up for radio 2 and the 790 is set up for Radio 1. Initally the Head unit got no power. I was able to jump the poser for the head from the 12 pin connector on the back and everything powered up. The Speakers will not work from the back of the head unit, only from pins 2 and 6 on the back of radio 1. when switched to the 890 it beeps constantly when I switch back to the 790 it is fine. When I go to program them it tells me that the models are wrong and would i like to over right them. Then the incesent beeping starts again. What am I missing. This is the first time that I have ever set this up and am having issues with it. I may need to change the firm ware on both radios but what is the latest version and where do I get it. Someone please help I am kind of a rookie with this stuff.
kt2728

Re: Tk-790/TK-890 Dual Band Single Head Set up

Post by kt2728 »

if i remember correctly you will have to put the shorting plug on the back of each radio to route the audio to the control head. then you will have to put the speaker on the ch.

i have only set this up once and it has been at least 5 years ago.

if you dont have a service manual you definitely need to get one. it will help.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!!!!
vorndamr

Post by vorndamr »

Have you made the necessary modifications to the control boards in the radios? Rod
Elighting

Post by Elighting »

In a dual band setup, you have to modify radio 2. Radio 1 you do nothing too. I have a 690/890 DB setup, You have to remove,move jumpers and add 1 jumper between a point on each end of the radio. You do have to have the shorting pin on the rear on both radio for audio to the head.

Jordan,TCFD
w1dbc

Post by w1dbc »

So i nelp help, sort of... I'm going to be programming a tk-790/tk-890 dual band with a single head..

1. is it as easy as reading the radio (or both radios?) making the changes and writing to it (them?)?

2. I see the 90-series is a 160ch radio, if it is set up as dual band/single head, is that 160ch total or 160ch each band?

Dan, W1DBC
Elighting

Post by Elighting »

Yes, just read the radio like normal. If it is a dual band,dual head, you can read and write from either head as well.

Yes, you only get 160 channels total per zone.

If you make up a file from scratch and just shoot it in the radio, make sure when you tell which radio is which, you have the bands correct. I sold a 7/890 setup, the guy already had a file made up and he sent it to me. Well, then he told the radio with band was where, it was reversed from what my setup was. I had to completely retype everything as it cleared all data if I changed the order in the model information. This pertains to the radio 1, radio 2.

Jordan