FCC ID: ALHTK-730H-1

Main Unit:
KRK-2

Remote Control Head chip:
X24C04P
526I

Problem Details:
The group keys do not work.
The radio will scan 32 channels and stops on active channels in each group.
Can not change from group 1 to group 2.
Home Channel can be programmed for any channel in group 1 or 2.
When programmed for a channel in group 2 and pressed, there is no way to get back to group 1.

Questions:
How do I check my firmware?
Do I have the correct chip?
Why aren't my group keys working?

I am really getting frustrated over this issue.
Should i send it into Kenwood?
Would they even work on something this old?
Will it be expensive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike ~ KC2TOH
Blaise

Re: TK-730 Problem

Post by Blaise »

I have also noticed that when on hook I can not get the radio to scan.

I have to change the “OFF Hook Scan” setting in the software to “Yes” in order to get it to scan.

Could this have something to do with my group button problem?

I also tried a brand new program to eliminate the possibility of a corrupt file but the group problem still exists.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

What version of KPG-7D are you using? Version 1.0 breaks the scan function.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

I am using 2.0.1
ka7wnf wrote:What version of KPG-7D are you using? Version 1.0 breaks the scan function.
vorndamr

Post by vorndamr »

The X24C04P chip is the basic channel memory chip. The one in the control head needs to be the same as the one in the radio. You will find this chip in your radio under the top access plate next to the large IC that should say FAA on it. If this says anything else like FFC, FFB. FFC/FFB, then we need to discuss what these are for. In the software check to make sure that you have only 16 channels available in the first group. If you can access more than 16 channels then you have all 32 channels in only one group and this would make the group buttons not work. When you designate a channel as the home channel and a button for that channel you will have to use the channel selector to go to another channel and the group buttons to go to another group unless your radio is not set up that way as I have previously described. There are several ways to set up the scan feature. The first is to add the channel to the scan list in the programming. This is a permeate decision. You can delete it, but once the radio is powered on/off it will revert back to the programming. If you select to not add the channel in the permeate scan list then you must have a button D/A (delete/add) to program your scan list, and again this will go back to the original programming once you power off/on. To delete and add you must hold the scan button down at the same time you press the D/A button for each channel. Under the scan programming option you can set your priority channel in several ways. This is also unchangeable from the control head. It is a programming function only. Let's start with this stuff first and then proceed from there. You can contact me direct through k9rod at k9rod dot net. Rod