TK-730 locked up. HELP!

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

desertracephotog

TK-730 locked up. HELP!

Post by desertracephotog »

Hi folks, this my first post so go easy on me if I sound like an idiot. I just purchased a used TK-730. The radio was listed as coming out of service as operational. I am having a bit of a problem. It powers up and displays a group and channel but the only control that works is the power button. Each time I power it off and on it comes to a different group and channel. It has the "opt" icon on in the display and does not show "tx" when I key the mic. I can not change channels or make any kind of adjustments. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this or if there is a "master reset" I can do to bring it back factory settings. I am not completely sure of what vintage it is but I believe it to be earlier that the "G" model. It has 160 channels, 10 banks of 16 (I think) and also has the large alpha numeric display and is a 45 watt unit. It shows no signs of being wet or anything like that.
ka7wnf

Re: TK-730 locked up. HELP!

Post by ka7wnf »

Do you have a programming cable and the software? Also open up the radio and see if the small 8 pin EEPROM is missing. This contains the channel information. It will be near the large PROM that contains the firmware. It kinda sounds like the programming has been wiped.
desertracephotog

Post by desertracephotog »

That is exactly what happened. All the programming was wiped out. I got some help from the guys in our radio shop with it and I am good to go now. Thanks for the reply. I am going to try to get a cable and software for it though so I can add and arrange to it as time goes on. It's a 160 channel radio so I have some space to play with.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

I've heard of those radios losing their memory before. It's rare but it happens. The chip that contains the memory is electrically erasable and I think it's possible for it to be be erased inadvertently.