TK-630/730 specs.

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

KF4SQB

TK-630/730 specs.

Post by KF4SQB »

Can anyone give me the specs. of a TK-630H and a TK-730H? So far, I have found out that the 630 is LB and the 730 is HB, also which cable and software to use, but that is about it. Thanks for any more help anyone can offer!
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

the tk-630 has 3 ranges, similar to the maratrac or maxtrac ranges. I think 29-36, 36-42 and 42-50. The k1 version is the low split, k3 is Hi split. I have my first K3 630 coming this coming week.

I don't know if the 730 comes in multiple ranges. I do know the 830 has a mid and Hi split, I assume there would be a low (govt.) split as well.

Nice radios. If I can find the right parts, I'm considering dumping my uhf spectra and lowband syntor x9000 for them. They seem to be a slightly more stable platform.
radioman1890

Tk-630H/730/730H

Post by radioman1890 »

Hi,

The Tk-630H only comes in one power split. THey are all 110watts. It is divided into three splits 29.7-37 35-43 41-50. This radio has many options. You can use a standard KCH-3 which is the control head and it has built in speaker. You can use a KCH-4 which allows alphanumeric display but you are required to have an external speaker. This radio was also made so that you can very simply convert it to a remote mount. A regular KCH-3 can hold and scan up to 32 channels and a KCH-4 can hold and scan up to 32 channels. You can upgrade the KCH-3 to 99channels and the KCH-4 to 160 channels with a semi simple mod for people with experience in soldering and removing boards. These radios are very durable and they are rated at 110w but if you play around with the power board you can get anywhere from 150-200 or more. I have found that the Kenwood Tk-630H-1 have the most power. -2 are next and -3 is last. These radios are very flexible and have many configurations you can use them with. If you want to program a -3 in the ham band its very simple. You jus remove the bottom cover and put your voltmeter on TP 302 and assuming you are holding the radio with the front part facing you, adjust the first contol to your left inside the metal box. Then with the radio keyed adjust the other one. Try to adjust it at leats to 2.75 but it will work anywhere between 1.5-5VDC. To adjust the reciever ,again assuming you have the radio facing you put a 1khzsignal using your service monitor or a signal generator and turn the mon button on and adjust the four coils in your upper right hand corner. These are L301-305once you get a good signal, turn off the 1 khz signal. Now take off the metal cover that covers you power board. Play around with VR2 with the radio keyed. Put VR1 at maximum. (These directinons are to get the most power) Now you got your self a nice little ham radio.

The Tk-730 is divided into two radios. Tk-730 and Tk-730H The tk-730 is rated at 45w. The 730H is rated at 110W. The tk-730 is divided into two ranges -1 and -2. The -1 is 150-174 and -2 136-156. These radios can also be made remote mount dual mount dual control head so many options. You can take a day playing around with these radios.

The TK-830 like the 730 has teh TK-830 and 830H. This one is broken into four ranges. -1 403-433 -2 450-470 -3 470-490 -4 490-512 Again this raido has many cool features.

I hope this info helps. I have many years of experience with these radios and i deal with them on a day to day bases especialy the Tk-630's. I know every trick to em. If you have any more question i would be glad to help.
willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

Hey Radioman, would you happen to have the Dual radio single head firmware chips handy to read with a prom reader? I'd love to do a KRK-4DB with uhf and low band. I'm really enjoying the 630, hunting for an 830. I have 2 kch-4's coming as well.

I'm also looking for a sevice manual for the 630, and a schematic of the krk-4db kit.

Tnx, Will
radioman1890

KRK-4db

Post by radioman1890 »

I have the chips of a dual band setup of a tk-630 and a tk-830H but i cannot sell them these are my peronal ones. I have a kpt-20 which is used to read and write these chips. If you have the blank chips i may be able to copy them for you.
As for the tk-630H manual i only have one and its broken i am looking for one myself. I am not sure what you mean buy the krk-4db schematic.
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

Thanks, Radioman, that's just the information I am looking for! Just one other question. Which PROMs do I need to replace to upgrade this unit to 99 channels, and what is the part number of the replacement PROM (the industry number, not the Kenwood part number)? Thanks again for the info!
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

just dug up the part # from a post from n5tbu Part is a serial eeprom, part # x24c16p I think I have one lying around here and I'm told there is one in the kch4 I bought this afternoon. BTW, this seller has some nice kenwood remote parts available. I'm buying a control head and cable most likely.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =3&rows=50
willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

Also, Radioman, the proms with the dualband info were the 28 pin uv erase style eprom in the radio itself. I believe it's either a 27c128 or 27c256, has "kenwood FAA" written on it, at least my single radio eprom has that written on it. I remember replacing the eprom when setting up a tk-730/830 in the mid 90's for a PD in the norther part of Mass, probably Lowell, or Billerica.
radioman1890

Replies

Post by radioman1890 »

Thanks, Radioman, that's just the information I am looking for! Just one other question. Which PROMs do I need to replace to upgrade this unit to 99 channels, and what is the part number of the replacement PROM (the industry number, not the Kenwood part number)? Thanks again for the info!
The industry name is KCH-5
just dug up the part # from a post from n5tbu Part is a serial eeprom, part # x24c16p I think I have one lying around here and I'm told there is one in the kch4 I bought this afternoon. BTW, this seller has some nice kenwood remote parts available. I'm buying a control head and cable most likely.

That is correct. If you need Kenwood accesories let me know i have alot let me know your needs.
Also, Radioman, the proms with the dualband info were the 28 pin uv erase style eprom in the radio itself. I believe it's either a 27c128 or 27c256, has "kenwood FAA" written on it, at least my single radio eprom has that written on it. I remember replacing the eprom when setting up a tk-730/830 in the mid 90's for a PD in the norther part of Mass, probably Lowell, or Billerica.

This is a 28 pin UV eraseable style eprom. About a year ago i bought about 500 pcs of these and made copies of every firmaware i had. They were all used for the most part and others were broken or lost.[/quote
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

willbartlett wrote:just dug up the part # from a post from n5tbu Part is a serial eeprom, part # x24c16p I think I have one lying around here and I'm told there is one in the kch4 I bought this afternoon. BTW, this seller has some nice kenwood remote parts available. I'm buying a control head and cable most likely.

OK, is this the number of the original (32 channel) PROM, or the 99 channel? Is this part simply added to the unit, or is it used to replace a different PROM? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first experience with Kenwood.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

that part # is for the 99 or 128 ch option, I don't know if it's in addition to the existing prom. I'll investigate and confirm.

Again, to quote n5tbu:

>I needed to remove r33 on the alpha head to go from 32 to 160 >channels
>also r 156 on the control unit as well as replacing IC 109 on the control >unit and IC 3 on the alpha head.

Check this out, seems worth the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=43010

Will
Ware

Post by Ware »

radioman1890, similarly, that your consultation is required )

I have two radio`s - TK-730 and TK830, also i have dual band remote kit KRK-4DB (with EEPROM`s FAB for radio1 and FAC for radio2).
I have installed and have connected all as is indicated in the instruction manual. But when I submit power supply and I power on radio, the second transceiver does not work, in it even the relay do not click ...
Thus one by one both radio stations work perfectly!

What can it be, a fault KRK-4DB ?..

Thanks
radioman1890

Make sure you set your comfugaratiosn correctly

Post by radioman1890 »

Make sure you set your configarations correctly when programming. Lots of switches need to happenfor the two radios to work. If the programming is not set correctly then some of the switching required will not happen therefore elimating the PTT system. If its porgrammed correctly test continuity in your cable in the pin that corresponds to PTT and PTT GND.
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

willbartlett wrote:Check this out, seems worth the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=43010

Will

Thanks for the tip, Will. I intend to purchase a couple of these.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

nmfire10

Post by nmfire10 »

If I do the channel expansion on a KCH-4 head, will I still be limited to 16 channels per group? I love the 30 series but my biggest gripe is the 16ch per group limitation.