VX-537 question

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
securitymikey

VX-537 question

Post by securitymikey »

Hello. I was thinking about purchasing an VX-537 to use for work. I like the fact that the radio is incased in metal and from what I have been told it will go out of band down to 440 ham and you can get the MDC1200 encode/decode board for this unit also. One problem I have heard of with this radio is the flex cable for the PTT has an issue and Vertex hasn't really done anything as far as trying to fix the problem. I have heard that they are pretty good with the warranty repairs on this issue. I was wondering if this is still a problem with this unit because I would hate to spend $600.00 for this thing and have a problem a few weeks later. Also I would like to try and confirm this radio will go out of band to 440 ham without having to really play with the software. I use the radio for work around 478mhz and also like going down to 440 ham when it is slow at work. Hate having to carry two different radios around if I don't have to. Thanks for any help on this one.
radio259

Re: VX-537 question

Post by radio259 »

I have a VX924, 450-512 split. It can do 440 with a little modification with hex editer. And it will encode decode MDC1200 with the cimmeron board. The 537 is one tough radio. I have not seen any of the 537's we have sold come back in for any problems as you described.

If you have a choice, i would go with the 824 or 924. Both use the same accessories, have basicaly the same functions and options for about the same cost as the 537. i am not saying the 537 is not a good radio, but unless you work in a rough enviroment, drop it often, go with the 924/824. I sell and work on Vertex, and have had all three. I ended up keeping my 924. No problems with it after 3 years.

Just my 3 cents worht.

Paul B
securitymikey

Post by securitymikey »

This is good then because this was concern I had as to if I was gonna buy the radio or not. I am kinda clumsy and drop my radio a lot at least when working. Thanks for the info. One other question... Does the MDC board do GE Star and MDC600 also or is this a total different board?
radio259

Post by radio259 »

it will do either. But on each channel, you have a choice of either MDC1200 or GE star.

The VMDE200 will encode and decode. The VME100 will only encode. 537 is a workhorse.

Paul B
TonyAcabono

Post by TonyAcabono »

I have both radios and I love both. I tend to grab the 920 more than the 537 as it has a more ergonomic feel.

The 920 is also waterproof so I don't have to worry in the bad wx.

Both are as rugged as the come nowadays. I also have the cimmaron 200 board in the 920 and I can confirm it works well. It will not decode all the formats on one channel but with all the channels in the radio you can program another adjacent channel to decode or encode another format.

In NY we have some GEstar users and it is handy to have a portable radio that can decode.

I have many of the 500 series radios and I am not aware of your particular issue happening with any frequency.