New to programming- VX 510L

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
N2NET

New to programming- VX 510L

Post by N2NET »

I have a pair of Vertex 510L from an auction that I need to program with new Freeq's for local Vol. Fire use.
I have a Knock off cable DB9/Mini -Tip, ring, ring, sleeve, (and an RJ for another model?)
And Free DOS software. I've established I am using the correct Comm port. Via Sereal not USB adaptor.
Is there any known problem using Windows NT DOS? Or should I use an old Windows DOS?
I can get the units to TX/RX and get the "Program/Send" modes open but I keep getting a comm error message on the programmer when I try and write/read from the HT's.

Any one know a Vertex programmer in the NYC area?

Thanks
N2NETN2NET

Private messageE-mail
n2rld

Re: New to programming- VX 510L

Post by n2rld »

Most if not all of the old DOS Software for Radio programing Needs to run in DOS, True DOS not DOS in a Window ( I use MSDOS 6.22 on a 486 or pentium 100mhz laptop or desktop but no faster then that ) These DOS programs need to communicate with the Serial Port directly, Windows Takes control of the serial port. If you want the radio to be programed right and not Bricked ... Use a slow computer, Boot to DOS and Run the software from DOS and everything should work out fine.

Karl N2RLD
TonyAcabono

Re: New to programming- VX 510L

Post by TonyAcabono »

You need real dos and a real serial port no adapters.

Make sure your cable has the really small phono plug. When looking at the radio you plug the cable into the really small jack on the bottom.

I am in NY and have the correct setup if you fail.