Firmware-PCConfig Decode

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

faradaycage

Re: Firmware-PCConfig Decode

Post by faradaycage »

Any EFJ experts have an idea what to use for a 242-5317-101-AAAB with (ancient?) firmware...

This firmware must be quite old since there is no "normal" power up version displayed, just the "EFJ * V200" panel FW, with no self-test or power-down display sequence either.

Radio has programming and is functioning perfectly but later PCConfig won't see it.

TIA
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

You have "rev 4" mobile version, the very first version EFJ came out with of that mobile. It is a 5.x based code. Last release for that radio was 5.38 I think. You can program with PCTrunk V5.9 or 5.10, but the last PCC you can use is 1.22.0.4. You will have to set the baud rate to 9600 for it to read it though.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
faradaycage

Post by faradaycage »

Thank you for the info I.S, much appreciated!

Yeah I know... it should have been obvious that EFJ's very first issue would be called "rev 4" with 5.x based code. Of course, how intuitive!

I'm trying to standardize about 30 5300's but it seems that each and every radio has a unique file format/firmware/hardware level/CPU/DSP code/boot code/option/etc. combination, requiring a bewildering array of PC Config versions. Great radios - but the hardware/firmware/software situation is a real dog's breakfast.
Intrinsically Safe

faradaycage wrote:Thank you for the info I.S, much appreciated!

Yeah I know... it should have been obvious that EFJ's very first issue would be called "rev 4" with 5.x based code. Of course, how intuitive!

I'm trying to standardize about 30 5300's but it seems that each and every radio has a unique file format/firmware/hardware level/CPU/DSP code/boot code/option/etc. combination, requiring a bewildering array of PC Config versions. Great radios - but the hardware/firmware/software situation is a real dog's breakfast.
Yeah, I won't disagree with you on that one. It is a pain in the arse at times. Good news is the new product (Viking) will only have one software (Armada) and that should take care of this issue. Doesn't help you but at least the company is trying to solve ONE of their issues. I mean they did finally get USB cables about 7 or 8 years ago :/
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
faradaycage

Post by faradaycage »

Thanks again for the help with this, the PCConfig you recommended seems to work fine for programming, but there's one issue that I've never run into before that perhaps you've seen:

As you mentioned, it seems that the 9600 baud setting is required for these radios (the PCC help file mentions this too), but when 9600 baud is selected then then the 'Read Options' selection on the menu is grayed-out, whereas it's available (but doesn't work due to baud speed?) on all other settings. I checked and this "feature" seems to be there for all later PCC versions too. How would you normally read the options for an older "rev 4" 5300 radio?

TIA,
Andrew
Last edited by faradaycage on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intrinsically Safe

The early versions didn't support "reading' of options. You had to decode the serial number. And we all know how fun that is :/

I.S.
faradaycage

Post by faradaycage »

Thanks.... so it is a "feature" after all - I guess the software assumes that 9600 baud means you're programming an older radio. Well, that's one way to check!

Makes more sense than assuming you have a 800MHz radio if you're programming on a Wednesday - but just barely!

So I suppose these "rev 4" radios can't have software OPT file upgrades then? (Since that button is on the option display screen).
ee1993

Post by ee1993 »

Thanks for all the good information.

I have a new, never used, 531H ES series radio with remote head that shows firmware version (Controller version) 6.10.6 and EFJ says I need PCC 2.12.6 to program it. I have 2.14.10, can I upgrade the firmware to use 2.14.10? I only intend to use this for CAP (Analog and P25 Conventional). Any advantage to upgrading the firmware?

Thanks,
pvandrew

Post by pvandrew »

I have Firmware versions, 2.10.2 & 2.10.6. What PC Config would I use?
pvandrew

Post by pvandrew »

I need to know the version of PP Config to use with Firmware V3.10.2, thanks in advance.

Pete
ASRM

Post by ASRM »

Hello, I was turned onto your site from a Moto board.

I came into possession of 7 EFJ Portables, 6 are 5100's and one is 51SL. I am not completely up on EFJ gear so pardon my ignorance.

Looking to reprogram them for a Dog Rescue we run on UHF with a Quantar P25 system.

Here is what I have as far as firmware and model ID's I seem to have 3 flavors of firmware.

We mainly run XTS3K and 5K's with XTS1.5K/2.5K and 5K rigs. Even have some quite old but excellent sounding Astro Saber's 8)

EF Johnson Portables
##########################
51SL
Model 242-5213-610-BC1 (MN)
Firmware V 1.14.3
PPC version
###########################
Model 242-5122-410-GM3 (MN)
Firmware V 3.6.11
PPC version
###########################
Model 242-5126-460GO4