Orion VHF in the amateur bands?

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
d119

Orion VHF in the amateur bands?

Post by d119 »

Hi Group,
Finding that my MaxTrac is filled to its channel capacity and I need to be able to have an alphanumeric display as well as more channels, it's time to upgrade.

I use a mobile repeater (non-motorola) with my MaxTrac, and there's too many modifications for the MCS 2000 and Spectra radios to make it work with the Mobile Repeater, so those aren't an option.

The Orion seems to be well suited to the task, seeing as how it's easily interfaced with the mobile repeater I'll be using.

The burning question of the day is how difficult is it to program an Orion into the amateur band (144-148MHz)? I would also need to retain it's commercial functionality. What software package is required (I'm not asking for it - I just want to know what it is), and what needs to be done to make this radio work from lets say 144-164MHz?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

i think the following thread would apply to the ORION. It uses
the same software & the MRK is a close cousin...

http://radio.the161.net/viewtopic.php?t=1709
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

I have not tried it on an Orion but I'm guessing it would work the same way since the raw code is almost identical. Just be sure to read my post on this carefully and follow the instructions as described.

Frank
d119

Post by d119 »

OK. Well I've located an Orion I believe to be suitable to my needs... But have questions nonetheless:

Can an Orion fit in a single-DIN vehicle slot? (Can I mount it where my MaxTrac currently is, below my AM/FM radio inside the dash?)

ANYONE ELSE have ideas on how to out of band a CONVENTIONAL Orion on 2 meters? 150-174MHz radio here...
rescue11

Post by rescue11 »

First thing is which band split do you have of the orion, im assuming since you use it on the commercial band, its the 153-170 mhz model. I have never tried this but i have heard that if you can obtain the DOS programmer software then you can program out of band. Or find a 136-153 mhz splut orion, they are kind of rare to come by. There is a super secret way to hex edit the frequencies or change the band split, but im here to tell you those are things none of us will ever know, for some reason they are a very well protected secret. So i guess good luck.