Antenna Mount

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in a topic below - Also used for board announcements.
shane1041

Antenna Mount

Post by shane1041 »

Hey guys I have a 02 durango and I am looking at where to put the 1/4 vhf antenna ...is there a special hood mount made for it? Or should I just drill the hole?....thanks
rescue161

Post by rescue161 »

I'd just drill the hole, but that's me.
Scott
1 ADAM 12

Antenna mount

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

If you have enough confidence, then drill the hole... I'd look somewhere in the area behind your interior light. 2 reasons, that will get you close to your roofs center, ie best performance, and two, if you can get the light down or at least access.you can check how the underside of where you will drill looks like... so that you know you are not drilling into a cross brace, etc. etc. Or take it to a radio shop and let them do it.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Drilling a hole is always preferable

Post by n9gik »

It's a better location and who in his right mind uses a 1/4 wave anyway? Get a real antenna.

OK, that didn't sound so nice. In the last 30+ years I've seen about every combination you can suggest. Without a doubt nothing beats a gain antenna in the middle of the roof. Everything else is a second choice...or worse.

Worst choice in my opinion is a glass mount VHF antenna. I hate 'em with a passion ... and installed one on dad's pickup and mom's Jeep.

My wife's car has a 5/8 on a trunk lip mount.

You do what the customer wants but sometimes have to tell him you don't recommend it.

If you want an antenna in the location you mentioned there is a way. You may have to fabricate it, but it can be done. But get something prettier than a 1/4 wave.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
Carl_R

Re: Antenna Mount

Post by Carl_R »

I'd use something like a L Bracket on the hood or on the hatch. 3 holes drilled, out of sight and when it's removed, 3 small screw holes left..

shane1041 wrote:Hey guys I have a 02 durango and I am looking at where to put the 1/4 vhf antenna ...is there a special hood mount made for it? Or should I just drill the hole?....thanks