Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

k2xm

question about TK840 software

Post by k2xm »

While I'm waiting to get the TK840 I won on e-bay, I'm playing
around with the software to start getting the channels set up
the way I want. This is my first experience with Kenwood software,
so there are a few things I'm not sure about.

In the conventional mode, does this radio only have 32 channels,
or is it 32 different groups of channels?

If it is 32 different groups of channels, can each group have it's own
scan list.

Is there somewhere on the Internet that I can download a copy
of a programming manual? the F1 help key isn't too much help.

Thanks,
Pete
K2xm
n8emr

Post by n8emr »

The 840 in convention mode is a nice radio but scan is rather strange.
You get about 256 channels out of the radio in conventional mode. I foget the exact number. Its a mix of how many groups and how many channels in the groups. Each of the 32 groups can have upto 250 channels in convential mod. So you could have 1 group 250 channels or two groups of 128, etc.

This issue becomes how to access them. Do you want to change channels or groups when selecting a channel. Think of it as a channel selector with a channel up and down and channel in and out all togeather.

When scanning you run into real issues. The radio will only scan 32 channels. It scan scan any channel but only 32 at a time. It also only scans the 32 "active" channels selected in the groups. SO if you want to scan group 1 channel 5 you have to go to that cahnnel, If you every change your group1 channel then that channel is scanned. You can setup the radio as 32 groups 1 channel each to get a more traditional scanning functions but you loose lots of channels.

The radio is nice with the alpha tags, You can put all your ham freq in one group, GMRS in another PS in another. Scan is just the big gotya on this radio.

If you have other questions drop me a line.
k2xm

Post by k2xm »

n8emr wrote:The 840 in convention mode is a nice radio but scan is rather strange.
You get about 256 channels out of the radio in conventional mode. I foget the exact number. Its a mix of how many groups and how many channels in the groups. Each of the 32 groups can have upto 250 channels in convential mod. So you could have 1 group 250 channels or two groups of 128, etc.

This issue becomes how to access them. Do you want to change channels or groups when selecting a channel. Think of it as a channel selector with a channel up and down and channel in and out all togeather.

When scanning you run into real issues. The radio will only scan 32 channels. It scan scan any channel but only 32 at a time. It also only scans the 32 "active" channels selected in the groups. SO if you want to scan group 1 channel 5 you have to go to that cahnnel, If you every change your group1 channel then that channel is scanned. You can setup the radio as 32 groups 1 channel each to get a more traditional scanning functions but you loose lots of channels.

The radio is nice with the alpha tags, You can put all your ham freq in one group, GMRS in another PS in another. Scan is just the big gotya on this radio.

If you have other questions drop me a line.
That's for straightening that out. Now another question,
from the main software page ( where you select Trunking
or Conventional) how do you turn the Scanlist on for
each system? I have about 8 channels entered into
the first system and I want the radio to scan these
8 channels when I select this system.

thanks,
Pete
n8emr

Post by n8emr »

You cant scan channels in a system. You can only scan 1 channel per system. If you want to scan 8 channel then you need 8 systems with 1 channel each.