Looking for Kenwood TK-290 firmware for serial # 00900XXXX

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

phirephoto

Looking for Kenwood TK-290 firmware for serial # 00900XXXX

Post by phirephoto »

I have a Kenwood TK-290 I tried updating the firmware on. It's now saying "no sys" when I try to look at the firmware version. When I try to write any of the 3 firmwares I have (18, 19 and 20 - checksum C541, 7291 and AB8E. When I write any of the above firmwares, it gets to 46% on FPU, then the radio display shows a 4 character code (completely different from what the checksum is ) and it won't power back up into radio mode - it goes back to programming mode.

Any suggestions? I've been told that firmware is specific to the serial numbers, if that helps.

Thanks.
n5tbu

Re: Looking for Kenwood TK-290 firmware for serial # 00900XXXX

Post by n5tbu »

This from Kenwood Dealer tools page:

Please call Tech Support if you need assistance with the current firmware revisions, or if you are looking for a specific firmware revision not listed. Tech Support: 1-800-752-0987

I suspect you put a newer firmware than the hardware could handle. The newest firmware listed was for a much newer serial number than yours. Give them a call.
mod
phirephoto

Re: Looking for Kenwood TK-290 firmware for serial # 00900XXXX

Post by phirephoto »

n5tbu wrote:This from Kenwood Dealer tools page:

Please call Tech Support if you need assistance with the current firmware revisions, or if you are looking for a specific firmware revision not listed. Tech Support: 1-800-752-0987

I suspect you put a newer firmware than the hardware could handle. The newest firmware listed was for a much newer serial number than yours. Give them a call.
mod
I called Kenwood support. All they'd tell me is I need firmware checksum 1EB9, and I'd need to call a dealer for this.

Another person on this board said they'd e-mail it, so hopefully I'll have this resolved.

I guess newer versions of the FPU software actually check to make sure the firmware is good for the radio trying to be written to. Older FPU App's don't.

Lame. :)