5100 Alignment

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

Flatlander

5100 Alignment

Post by Flatlander »

I've got 5100 and 51fireES, a v1 and a few v6, all vhf, that seem deaf. Unless you are in "monitor" and I cannot for the life of me figure that out. One v6 hears very well. Need a power board for a v6 so I can see how the 4th one acts.
W0VNE

Re: 5100 Alignment

Post by W0VNE »

I'll assume this is a radio programmed with NBFM channels? If you load the code plug from these radios check to see what sort of squelch is selected. I had one of the options change squelch type. If your in an area with a bunch of different transmitters on the same channel with different tone you probably have to have CTCSS for squelch. Or if your having interference on the channel from (whatever) If not? just use normal squelch? Oh and while I don't know beans about it there is an option for multi tone squelch that the GMRS boys like to use.

Anyway same issue with P25 but can't off the top of my head remember which NAC opens on every valid P25 signal but you could try that if your listening to P25. And wiki P25 NAC to get the open on all or whatever your looking for.

Its possible the radios out of alignment but they are a good radio and not ever had issues with them being poor on receive at least versus the Motorola, Thales/Racal and Harris/MaCom that I've had a little experience with.

Version numbers except version 6 are all very similar but changed as EF Johnson changed (mostly) how it did encryption. Ver 1 was done in the radios firmware, 2 was done with an EF Johnson crypto chipset, 3, 4 and 6 (No Ver 5 that I've ever seen) all just use Motorola chipset for crypto if I remember this right. So other then age and how the case held up I've never been super fussy about version numbers but the only systems I work on are conventional P25 and NBFM. Trunking stuff isn't used by the people I work with.

Oh! I forgot. Ver 6 is a different beast inside looks like a complete redesign.

But this is all just my two cents worth.