Icom IC-W2A strange crossband repeat problem

Forum dedicated to discussion on Icom Amateur Radio products
davidwild

Icom IC-W2A strange crossband repeat problem

Post by davidwild »

All,

I'm trying to use an Icom W2A as a crossband repeater (extended receive mod followed by F-2 and F-Enter; VHF as main band). All seems to go well, except that the radio doesn't seem to transmit any PL tones in this mode. When I transmit out of crossband mode, the PL tones are transmitted fine, so it's not a problem with the tone board. But when in crossband mode, it transmits on the opposing band fine, but just without the PL that is programmed for that frequency. Even more strange, if it receives a transmission with a PL tone on the UHF side, it will actually transmit the same PL tone it is receiving from UHF on the VHF side (regardless of what tone is programmed for the VHF); however, if it receives on the VHF side, no tone is carried through to the UHF side.

Anyone any idea what might be happening or how to put it right? Have tried the usual web searching and scouring the service manual to no avail. Not sure if this is just a weird problem with my radio or if I'm missing something

Thanks!

David (KC8PTE)
n7maq

Re: Icom IC-W2A strange crossband repeat problem

Post by n7maq »

davidwild wrote:All,

I'm trying to use an Icom W2A as a crossband repeater (extended receive mod followed by F-2 and F-Enter; VHF as main band). All seems to go well, except that the radio doesn't seem to transmit any PL tones in this mode. When I transmit out of crossband mode, the PL tones are transmitted fine, so it's not a problem with the tone board. But when in crossband mode, it transmits on the opposing band fine, but just without the PL that is programmed for that frequency. Even more strange, if it receives a transmission with a PL tone on the UHF side, it will actually transmit the same PL tone it is receiving from UHF on the VHF side (regardless of what tone is programmed for the VHF); however, if it receives on the VHF side, no tone is carried through to the UHF side.

Anyone any idea what might be happening or how to put it right? Have tried the usual web searching and scouring the service manual to no avail. Not sure if this is just a weird problem with my radio or if I'm missing something

Thanks!

David (KC8PTE)

If I recall correctly they do not TX tone when in cross band, that is normal. As far as the UHF RX passing the PL, the high pass filter is not working.

Jim