FT-8800

Forum dedicated to discussion on Yaesu Amateur Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Craig

FT-8800

Post by Craig »

Anyone using an FT-8800? Just wondering if the cross band feature is worthwhile. I am thinking about buying one and would like some opinions on it before I buy.
ATF1224

Post by ATF1224 »

I'm also looking at buying one for the large display and crossband repeat function. Can you choose any frequency the radio can receive to be repeated?
Jake
KI4ZEL
Craig

FT-8800

Post by Craig »

I'm not sure, but I don't see why not. Can anyone help?
candrist

Post by candrist »

it will only do a cross band repeat UHF - VHF or VHF - UHF. you cannot do UHF - UHF or VHF - VHF.

it works ok, but I would not guarantee it. I have the radio love it, but deffeniently did not buy it for cross band repeat.

Taken From:
http://www.ussc.com/~uvhfs/freqfaq1.sht ... _repeaters

Q: I want to leave my radio on the 'Crossband Repeat' mode for (some event.) What frequency can I put this on?

A: Many radios have the ability to function as a crossband repeater where signals are automatically received on one band and retransmitted on another, usually between 2 meters and 70 cm. Generally when these radios are operated in this manner they are configured to retransmit what they hear on 2 meters on 70cm and can switch automatically to retransmitting what they hear on 70cm on 2 meters.
Unfortunately, they are rarely operated legally! Most radios capable of crossband operation cannot automatically perform the function of a legal ID: In most cases, it may not be possible (or practical) to ID the link in both directions as required. (Note: YOU may be identifying your station as you transmit through the crossband to, say, a repeater, but your crossband may not be identifying legally as it retransmits the repeater on another band.) Additionally, the FCC rules require that some means of control be implemented in the event the repeater needs to be shut down (such as in the case of a malfunction that causes interference to another repeater or radio service.) Remember that most radios in crossband repeat mode will be stuck in transmit as long as there is a signal on the other band's input and in that state remote control, if available, may not even be possible.

It is possible to operate some radios as a remote controlled station instead of a repeater. In that case, you can remotely operate a radio that is transmitting/receiving signals from one band to another and it can be argued that this is not a repeater. It should be remembered that this is only the case if there is, in fact, a definite means of remote control, and that this control function is done on bands higher than 2 meters!

Assuming that the operator has taken the trouble to provide a legal ID and control mechanism in the case of a crossband repeater, there is often the tendency of many crossband repeater operators to forget that the device they are operating is a repeater and may be operated only in the repeater subbands!

If you are able to set up a simplex repeater so that it can be operated lawfully, any of the suggested simplex frequencies can be used (aside from the most popular ones such as 146.52, 146.54, etc.) and that you are certain that its operation will have minimal impact on those who already monitor/operate there. You should also configure any crossband repeater to use subaudible tones so that casual or random operations on the frequencies involved don't activate the repeater.

Be careful about Cross Band repeat.

Chris