Public Safety mic antenna cover

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

rwo978

Public Safety mic antenna cover

Post by rwo978 »

My brother picked up a public safety mic for dirt cheap brand new. It's the one with the straight cord, black/org buttons, and antenna port on the top.

The seller didn't list what radios it worked for, so we assumed it worked on the 3140 I have and the 3180 he has. Well, everything works on the mic but the antenna port. Dealer looked on the mic and it's for use with the 90 public safety portables.

Question I have is do they make a cover that can be screwed or snapped onto the antenna port to cover it since it doesn't work on either of the radios we have? I can't/don't want to remove the antenna connection in case of future use, so cover would have to screw or snap on. Option 2 is to buy the smallest/shortest antenna to screw on just to "plug" the hole. Which is the "shortest" stubby, UHF or 800?
Ryan
KC0MOZ
rwo978@hotmail.com (use this e-mail, not other)
dmonty83

Post by dmonty83 »

Yes they do make a small plastic cap that will cover the antenna port. Any radio shop should be able to provide it. They are threaded and will screw into the antenna connection.
You could buy a stubby antenna. I have see this done before with some Motorola radios. Your shortest would be 800MhZ.

Good Luck...

David
cvasara

Post by cvasara »

I have never been able to find a valid part number for the antenna cap.
These tend to get lost often, the fitting into the antenna port is not a good one. Would like to stock these, if a valid P/N is available.

The only current portables that will accept this microphone is the 90 series